- 3/4 lb dark brown sugar
- 6 oz warm water
- 10 oz mesquite BBQ sauce
- 1/2 can chipotle peppers*
- 4 oz orange juice
- 1 bottle of beer
- 8 oz catsup
- 8 oz chili sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp chili powder, light
- 10 oz Dijon mustard
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
1 hour approx.
- Blend all ingredients listed above in a large saucepan.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Take off heat and strain sauce into a container.
- To cook short ribs, place ribs side by side and upright in a disposable aluminum roasting pan (10"x12"x2-1/2").
- Cover ribs entirely with this sauce up to limit of pan.
- Cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil, sealing all edges.
- Bake in a 225 degree oven for 8-10 hours until fork tender.
- Take ribs out of the sauce that they were cooked in and ladle fresh heated sauce over top of ribs and enjoy.
You can tie up individual ribs with butcher string if you want the meat to stay neater on the rib bone.
* Chipotle peppers are a roasted smoked jalapeno available in most supermarkets. The recipe references the 7.6 oz can size. You may want to taste test the sauce before you add the full recommended amount of chipotle peppers, to make it milder or hotter.