Spit Roasted Leg of Lamb by Chef Ron Askew
- 1 5-6lb Grass-Fed Leg of Lamb
- 2 tbl Fresh Rosemary
- 2 tbl Fresh Oregano
- 2 tbl Fresh Sage
- 1 tbl Fresh Thyme
- 6 ea. lg. Garlic Cloves, Peeled
- 1 lg. Bulb of Shallot, Peeled or 2 tbl Sweet Onion
- 1 C. Olive Oil
- 1 tbl Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 C. Red Wine
- 1 tbl Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tbl Stoneground Mustard
- 1 tbl Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tbl Ground Black & Pink Peppercorns
- With a sharp knife, lightly slit outside of Lamb Leg in crisscross pattern on cutting board.
- Prepare food processor with metal blade.
- Remove stems and coarse chop all fresh herbs, onion and garlic.
- Place herbs, garlic & onion into processor and pulse chop 4-6 times until chopped medium.
- Measure out rest of ingredients.
- Turn on processor and add oil in stream.
- Scrap down sides of processor bowl to incorporate all herbs and spices.
- While processor is turned off add rest of ingredients and then pulse chop until fully incorporated.
- Place Leg of Lamb into large baggie or food grade bag and cover with herb mixture. *Make sure to fully cover Leg with ingredients. Close bag and continue to incorporate herb mixture over Leg.
- Refrigerate Leg of Lamb and allow to marinate for at least 30 hours. Remove Leg 2-3 times during this period to further shift Leg and incorporate herb mixture to all areas of the roast.
- Remove Leg of Lamb 4 hours prior to cooking and let rest at room temperature in the marinate.
- Preheat BBQ or oven to 375-400 degrees.
- Remove Roast from bag and attach to rotisserie spit tightly. *Or place on heavy gauge roasting pan for oven roasting.
- Place Lamb on BBQ rotisserie or oven and cook at high temp. for 20 minutes.
- Remove roast from oven or BBQ and reduce heat to 190-200 degrees.
- Return roast to oven or BBQ and Slow roast Lamb for 6 hours with spit roast or in oven at approximately 190-200 degrees until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees.
- Remove roast and let rest for 20-30 minutes lightly covered with foil before slicing against the grain for service. *This is the time when I grilled my fresh vegetables and Nann on the BBQ.