- 16 tablespoon butter
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 head celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 6 cups crumbled corn bread (see recipe)
- 1/2 bunch parsley, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup bual, malmsey, or other sweet madeira
*Using homemade corn bread greatly improves this stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions, and cook without browning, stirring often, until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add celery and rosemary; then generously season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking meat up with a fork, until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer sausage to onion-celery mixture. Add corn bread, parsley, and madeira, adjust seasonings, and mix well.
- Spoon warm stuffing into turkey, truss, and bake. Or transfer stuffing to a buttered baking pan, and bake until hot and golden on top, 30 - 45 minutes
Source: Heritage Acres Pork