Chicken Noodle Soup in Slow Cooker
- 8 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 medium stalks of celery, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & pepper
- 1 whole free range chicken (about 3 1/2 lbs)
- 3 cups egg noodles, uncooked
8 hours on low / 4 hours on high
Makes 14 cups
- In a 6 quart slow-cooker bowl, combine water, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme, 4 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place whole chicken on top of vegetables.
- Cover with lid and cook on low setting 8-10 hours or on high setting 4-5 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Discard bay leaves. Add noodles to slow cooker bowl. Cover with lid and cook about 20 minutes.
- While noodles cook, remove and discard skin, fat, and bones. Shred meat. Skim fat from soup and discard. Return chicken to soup and serve.