Paleo Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 Package of mini hot dogs
- Pie Crust
- 2 Tsp Whole Psyllium Husks
- 1/8 Tsp Xanthan OR Guar Gum (optional- see note above)
- 1/3 Cup of Warm Water
- 1 3/4 Packed Cup of Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/2 Packed Cup Tapioca or Arrowroot Starch
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbs of additional water
- In a small cup or bowl combine the Psyllium, Xanthan and 1/3 Cup of Water. Mix and set aside for a few minutes so that it can thicken.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine the Almond Flour, Starch, Salt and Baking Soda.
- Process to combine. Add the thickened Psyllium Mixture to the food processor. Turn on high and process —then add the last Tbs of water and combine until dough becomes a thick ball. It should be just slightly sticky and hold together really well. If your dough is at all crumbly add a little bit more water ( 1 tsp at a time) until it starts to hold firmly together.
- Remove dough from food processor. Place between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out thin.
- Roll the dough about as thick as you a pie crust between two sheet of parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into thin strips (I used a pizza cutter, but a sharp knife will do just fine)
- Roll each mini hot dog up in a strip of pie crust.
- Place on a cookie sheet. Brush each little pig in a blanket with a little water.
- Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. NOTE: this pie crust does not get very dark or golden when it’s baked! You’ll know the pigs in a blanket are done when the dough is firm to touch and the hot dogs appear to be cooked!
- Remove from oven, serve with ketchup and mustard!