Oven-Braised Mexican Beef
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, beef brisket, or beef stew meat cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 11/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or fat of choice
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup roasted salsa
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- Preheat oven to 300°F with the rack located in the lower middle.
- In a large bowl, combine the cubed beef, chili powder, and salt. Toss well.
- Melt the fat over medium heat in a large, oven-proof dutch oven.
- Add onions to the pot and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in the tomato paste and fry for 30 seconds. Mix in the garlic, seasoned beef, salsa, chicken stock, and fish sauce. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Cover pot and place in the oven for 3 hours or until beef is tender. Taste for seasoning
- Serve immediately topped with the cilantro.