Inspired by a stay at a local B&B using their neighbor’s pastured meat, this sweet and savory unsweetened breakfast sausage will shock you at how delicious and easy it is! You can make your own sausage without sweeteners, with a slight licorice flavor courtesy of anise seeds.
- 1/4 C ice water
- 1 Tbsp whole anise seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb. ground pork
- The US Wellness Meats pork is INSANELY GOOD — lots of great pastured fat
- In a small bowl, whisk together ice water and spices, let sit for 5 minutes *
- Pour spice mixture into pork and mix by hand until water is completely incorporated and spices are evenly distributed *
- Heat pan over medium-high heat
- Use an ice cream scoop (or scant 1/4 cup) to measure and form sausage into 1/2” thick patties — they cook down (makes about 15 patties) *
- Cook each side about five minutes until browned; drain pan in between batches or else the next batch won’t sear (save your grease!)
- Set on a micro-towel or other absorbent material, then eat warm!
Any step marked with a * is a step your little licorice lover can assist with.