We've known home chef and blogger extraordinaire Russ Crandall (aka- The Domestic Man) for many years. He popped up on our radar a few years back and we fell in love with his beautiful photography and traditional recipes. We have been best buds ever since. Like us, Russ believes in an ancestral, whole foods way of eating. Russ is a leader in the paleo/real food community, so we were thrilled to hear about the release of The Ancestral Table.
Russ was kind enough to send us a preview copy of The Ancestral Table, along with two extra copies to give away to our loyal followers.
Within the pages of The Ancestral Table, you will find over 100 traditional recipes for a gluten-free, paleo lifestyle. Russ shares his journey of medical setbacks and triumphs, and talks about what led him to this current lifestyle - one that is based on the paleo diet principles.
Inside The Ancestral Table, you will find American and international classics such as:
- Chicken-Fried Steak to rival Grandma's recipe
- Timeless French Onion Soup
- Bi Bim Bap with authentic, hassle-free Kimchi
- An incomparable Teriyaki Sauce
- Fragrant, satisfying Butter Chicken
We love that Russ includes a fun fact or brief blurb on the history of the each dish. We also love that Russ stays true to himself and his style with each ancestral, traditional recipe within the pages of The Ancestral Table. Check out this blog post from Russ himself on why he wrote The Ancestral Table.
Besides being an amazing chef, Russ is an officer of the US Navy. We are honored to partner with him for this release celebration and also thank him for his service to this great country!
The Ancestral Table comes highly recommended from all of us here at US Wellness! It's one of our favorite new cookbooks, and one we will be cooking from for a long time to come. We love seeing our products within the pages of The Ancestral Table, and we applaud Russ for his efforts.
In honor of the official release, Russ has so kindly agreed to let us share one of our favorite recipes:
(Recipe from The Ancestral Table by Russ Crandall)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 1/2 hours
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine
1 cup beef stock or broth
1 cup chicken stock or broth
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
2 carrots, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 parsnip, cut into bite-sized chunks
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 small handful fresh parsley, chopped
1. Season the meat with the salt and pepper. In a Dutch Oven, heat the oil on medium until shimmering, about 2 minutes. Add the meat and brown, in batches if needed, turning every few minutes. Set the browned meat aside.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the onion to the Dutch Oven and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds, then add the beef and its accumulated juices, wine, broths, thyme, and bay leaves. Add more broth if needed to mostly cover the beef. Bring to a simmer, cover, and put in the oven to roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes, carrots, and parsnip to the Dutch Oven. Roast for another 40 minutes, until the vegetables and meat are tender. Remove from the oven, uncover, and place on the stovetop to simmer on low heat as you prepare the vegetable puree below; discard the bay leaves.
4. Using a ladle or large spoon, remove some of the potatoes, carrots, and parsnips about 2 cup total, and 1/2 cup of the bone broth. Blend the vegetables and broth into a smooth puree, then return it to the Dutch Oven, stirring until thick, about 1 minute. Carefully stir in the peas, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, garnish with fresh parsley, and serve.
Without further ado, let's talk about what we're giving away!
First Prize - The Ancestral Table and $100 US Wellness Meats gift certificate
Second Prize - The Ancestral Table and $75 US Wellness Meats gift certificate
Entering is easy. Enter via the widget below:
Giveaway open to US residents only. Sorry folks, but we are unable to ship outside the continental United States.
Thank you for your participation!
The US Wellness Meats Team